Blueberry Lemon Cornmeal Scones OR Carrot Orange Cornmeal Scones for this weekend anyone?!
These scones from Run Fast Eat Slow and are super easy and simple to make. Impress all your friends and family with these treats for the morning. I made the original blueberry lemon scones, and then couldn’t resit making carrot orange one very soon after.
I recommend blueberry jam (especially with the blueberry lemon ones)or butter when serving these treats. I used a delicious homemade blueberry jam that my Aunt Barbra gave to me! It was amazing.
I like to use my hands to combine the dry ingredients and the butter. You want the butter to be pea-sized.
Here are both the Blueberry Lemon Cornmeal Scones and the Carrot Orange Cornmeal Scones ready for the oven! Give either one of these wonderful scones a try for a fun morning project.
Blueberry Lemon or Carrot Orange Cornmeal Scones
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (8 Tablespoons) butter, cold and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 whole milk yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of 2 lemons OR 2 oranges
- 1 cup of frozen blueberries OR 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a tray with parchment paper.
- Combine the cornmeal, all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Add the butter to the flour mixture and combine, using your hands or a pastry scraper until the butter is the size of peas.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, yogurt, vanilla and zest.
- Add the egg mixutre to the flour mixture and combine until just mixed together. Add either the carrots or blueberries and combine.
- Dumb the dough onto a floured surface and divide into one or two circles. Cut the circle like a pizza, into 8 triangular pieces.
- Place the scones onto the lined tray, leaving about 3 inches in between.
- Baked for 20-30 minutes until the edges are golden and the center looks set.