As I have mentioned in other posts, Joe Coffee Company is one of my favorite coffee places in University City. For the summer, they have a specialty drink that they call a “Cold Fashioned”. They make this drink with cold brew, maple syrup, orange extract, and half &half. This drink has easily become my sister and my favorite thing to order when we go to Joe once (or twice) each week. I call it a coff-tail because it is a coffee cocktail haha.
I realized that Joe will not always have this summer special drink, and that I am not always in Philly during the summer to spend my money on it…so my sister and I recreated it in our own kitchen. My family has our own recipe for cold brew that we make in large batches for the sake of convenience. I am going to share the recipe for both our cold brew and then the cold fashioned you can make with that cold brew if you please. If you don’t want to make a cold brew you can buy cold brew at most grocery stores (or you can use cold leftover coffee from the morning…)
- 8 quarts water
- 1 pound (16 ounces) ground coffee
- 1 sheet of cheese cloth mesh strainer
- Sweetened condensed milk (optional, my favorite way to sweeten my cold brew)
- Measure out the water and the coffee. Mix the water and coffee together in a large container. Cover the container, and let the mixture sit for 24 hours.
- Strain the coffee through a colander lined with the cheese cloth. Discard (or compost!) the coffee grounds.
- Keep the cold brew in the refrigerator in large containers. I like to fill a mason jar with ice, fill it with cold brew, and 1 tablespoon of sweeten condensed milk. Put a lid on the mason jar and shake it around until fully mixed together.
For the cold fashioned- we found just the right amount of orange that it isn’t too overpowering and meshes well with the slight sweetness of the maple syrup.
I hope you can try making a cold fashioned yourself before the summer ends! (or if you live in Philadelphia or New York, you can go to Joe to get one too)
*My version of Joe Coffee Company Cold Fashioned
- 10-12 oz cold brew coffee
- 2 tablespoons half&half
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- Add the cold brew, half&half, maple syrup, and orange extract to a mason jar with ice. Put a cap on and mix (I do a jig when I shake my coffee haha)