Sunday Run-day. That is what my friend, Luka, and I are now calling our Sunday mornings.
We go for a run together along the Schuykill River, then make a warming breakfast to refuel. Two weekends ago, I made this berry-nana baked oatmeal. It was so easy and simple that I was worried it wasn’t going to turn out well. BUT simplicity can yield the best meals.
All the ingredients I already had on hand in my new apartment. I mix everything together, and threw it in the oven. My roommates (who I dont talk to much) even asked if they could have a piece after they woke up and smelled the cinnamon and oats…. and they loved it. I made two batches of this oatmeal last weekend because everyone loved it so much. One berry-nana and another pumpkin spice (I threw in leftover acorn squash I had cooked earlier in the week). This recipe is super forgiving and easy to make.
I gave my roommate, Siqi, a lesson on how to make it last weekend too. When the batch I made with Siqi came out of the oven, she took it into her room with my other roommate, Chloe. 30 minutes later, an empty pan was in the sink… I guess they liked it?
Berry-nana Baked Oatmeal
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons flaxseeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups almond milk (or any other type of milk)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 banana
- 1 1/2 cups frozen berry blend
- maple syrup, for serving
- Line a 9 inch loaf pan or an 8×8 pan with oil or butter. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the oats, half the walnuts, flaxseeds, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and sea salt in a bowl.
- Slice the banana and spread over the bottom of the pan. Spread the berries over the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the oat mixture over the fruit.
- Mix the almond milk, vanilla, and egg together.
- Pour the almond milk over the oats. Tap the pan on the counter a few times to aid in dispersing the liquid.
- Top the oatmeal with the remaining half of the walnuts.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until set and golden on top.