If you can’t decide between oatmeal or pancakes, this is the breakfast for you!
These pancakes are super easy to make and come together with ingredients you probably already have on hand. Berry compote and maple syrup are amazing additions, if not necessary additions. I keep a stash of bananas and other fruit in my freezer for oatmeal, muffins, and other random things. I had frozen strawberries and cherries on hand for the compote when I made these.
The leaning tower of P…ancakes
Oatmeal Pancakes with berry Compote
- 1 1/2 cups whole oats
- 1 egg OR 2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 1/2 cups plain almond milk (or any milk you choose)
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 1 cup of frozen fruit (I used cherries and strawberries that i had in my freezer)
- Mix the oats, almond milk, and flaxseed (if you are using) in a bowl. Allow the mixture to sit or 10-15 minutes while you measure out the other ingredients.
- Once the mixture has sat, add the egg (only use the egg if you are not using the flaxseed), mix well. Then add the oat flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Before you start cooking the pancakes, put the cup of fruit in a pan and add a splash of water. cook over medium heat until the fruit has softened, and the berry liquid has become thick. This berry compote can be cooking while you make the pancakes – about 15 minutes.
- Pour small 3 Tablespoon drops of the oatmeal batter into a pan coated with butter or oil and press slightly to form a circle.
- Cook the mini pancakes for about 2 minutes each side. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Serve with maple syrup and the berry compote!
Last week was super busy, with midterms in my hardest classes. We lucked out with a snow day on Wednesday that allowed me to catch up a little bit with studying. I finished off the week with a midterm in Organic Chemistry and food lab where Nora and I recipe tested salt content in Philly soft pretzels.
Today was a sleep in late, makes pancakes, and go to a coffee shop all day to do work type of day. My favorite coffee shop in Philly right now in Reanimator Coffee (their Fishtown location). Nora got a smoked salt vanilla latte that was amazing, and
I hope everyone’s weekend was